Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sausage and pepper penne

This recipe was originally in Parents magazine:

oil
1 lb. uncooked Italian turkey sausage links
1 C. chopped onion (about 1/2 onion)
1 16 oz. bag frozen pepper strips
1 C. water
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 T. dried basil
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. garlic powder (I also use some garlic salt)
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
penne pasta

I actually found a bag of frozen pepper and onion strips, so I didn't do onion separately. For the sausage, I usually don't get uncooked sausage. We like the big Turkey Sausage and Kielbasa things that Foster Farms, and now Kroger make. And they're gluten-free. So I get that, use about 2/3 of it here and eat the rest as snacks. I also add a can of tomato sauce to make it more saucy.

Cook pasta according to instructions. In a separate pan, cook sausage until brown on all sides. Stir in onion; saute for 1 minute. Add everything else, cover, bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove sausages, slice (I usually just cut at the beginning, but that's with pre-cooked sausages), return to pan and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened. Toss sausage mixture with pasta and serve. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: