Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chicken enchiladas

In the past I've used Cream of-- soups a lot in my cooking. When Jake had to go lactose free before being diagnosed as they tried to figure out what was wrong, that threw out all those soups and I had to figure out new ways to work those recipes. We found this enchilada recipe that was pretty good, but not quite as quick and easy as my enchiladas using Cream of Chicken. Of course once he was okayed for lactose we still had the gluten keeping us away from those soups. Until, joy of joys, I found Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, and Cream of Celery soup that was gluten-free at Sunflower Market. Yahoo!
I could once again make so many of my favorite, EASY, recipes.

Including enchiladas:
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can diced green chilies
canned chicken (or cooked and shredded chicken)
sour cream
corn tortillas
shredded cheese

Mix in a skillet the soup, chilies, chicken, and a few dollops of sour cream. Simmer. While simmering dip about 10-12 tortillas in the mixture to warm and soften.
Spoon some of the mixture (maybe 1/4 cup?) into a tortilla, add a small handful of cheese, then wrap it and place in a pan seam-side down.
Once the pan is full pour the rest of the mixture over the top of the tortillas. I actually had enough of the filling left that I could have made another small 8x8 pan of maybe 5 more, but I was feeling lazy, so I just poured it all over the top.
Sprinkle cheese all over the top and cover with tinfoil. At this point you can either stick it in the oven to cook, or stick it in the freezer for another day. When I am feeling particularly motivated I'll make two pans full, freeze one and cook one. Or if a friend just had a baby or surgery or something, I usually make two pans, one for them, one for us. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes, or however long it takes for the cheese to melt. If frozen it usually takes about 40 minutes for all the cheese to melt.
Serve with lettuce, sour cream and salsa.
This is my dad's signature recipe and is SOOOO tasty. Nowadays he sometimes just layers the tortillas, filling mixture and cheese like a casserole instead of taking the time to make individual enchiladas, and actually it works great and tastes just the same, just saves you a few extra minutes. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: