Friday, July 1, 2011

Patriotic Rice Krispy Treats

My 3-year-old wanted to make cookies today, but I wasn't quite up for it. First of all, I'm a bit lazy and it seemed like too much work. B. It's 110 degrees outside and turning on the oven doesn't sound like the best idea. And III. I'm not much into cookies. I'll one or two if someone else makes them, but even BGF (Before our Gluten-Free days) if I ever did make cookies half the batch would sit uneaten for days or maybe even weeks. And the GF cookies I've made always turn out kind of dry and crumbly, so I'm pretty sure a batch would claim it's spot on our counter, mostly uneaten for days on end.
So, since cookies were out, I suggested rice krispy treats, which were readily accepted (microwave=no heating up of the kitchen:). And with it being the 4th of July this weekend, we whipped out the food coloring to add to the marshmallows, and came up with a tasty, patriotic treat.
Apparently Rice Krispies is coming out (or has come out in some parts of the country already, I guess) with a gluten-free version of their cereal. Hooray for doing away with that dang malt flavoring! Until we see them on the shelves, though, we make our rice krispy treats with Rice Chex. They taste just the same and it's an easy substitution.

Happy 4th of July to all!!! May you enjoy fireworks, and avoid the fires. (Lets hope the fireworks don't start a bunch of new fires now that they're just getting all of the fires here in Arizona under control.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: