Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Granola

Last week I was really wanting some granola, so I decided to try this recipe. It smelled so good. Until it stayed in the oven a little too long and came out burnt. I guess when the recipe says 25-30 minutes, that's what it means. Wierd.
Anyway, I tried it again the next day and it turned out delicioso!

I adjusted the recipe a little, just based on what I had and what we like.
3+ cups GF rolled oats
1 cup crushed GF corn flakes
2/3 cup slivered almonds
I really like using pecans in granola, unfortunately I used all our pecans on the burnt batch. :(
1/3+ cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons +/- cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup pure maple syrup (we used Eggo syrup--not exactly pure maple, but good enough for me)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 325F
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Melt the butter in a large bowl or glass measuring cup in the microwave.
  4. Add the maple syrup and brown sugar to the melted butter. Return to the microwave for 20 seconds or so to help the brown sugar melt. Add the vanilla extract. Stir together well and set aside.
  5. Combine the dry ingredients (oats, pepitas, almonds, flax seed meal and cinnamon) in a large bowl.
  6. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix together to coat everything evenly.
  7. Pour the mixture on to the parchment lined cooking sheet.
  8. Bake for a total of 25-30 minutes, stirring every 8 – 10 minutes to avoid burning. Bake until toasted brown.
  9. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
 Sometimes in making granola I'll use honey instead of syrup. Or part of each. Sometimes I like to substitute applesauce in for some of the honey or syrup or even for the butter. Applesauce is generally a good (and healthy) substitute for the oil/fat in most baking recipes. 

For granola my rule of thumb is anything goes. If you like sunflower seeds, throw some in. If you don't like almonds, leave them out. If you like your granola crunchy, keep it in for 30 minutes. If you prefer a little softer, take it out at 15 or 20 minutes. You can always throw dried fruit like raisins or apple chips in after it's cooled down, if you like that. I think this recipe is so tasty mainly because of the cinnamon and vanilla. Mmmmmmm!

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: