Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tostadas

Living in Tucson we eat Mexican food quite a bit. Lucky for us, Mexican food, except the flour tortillas, is usually pretty easy to make gluten-free. I wish I was better at Asian cooking, because that is usually pretty easy to make gluten-free, too. Instead we just settle for visiting Thai restaurants, which are usually almost completely gluten-free, or most meals can be adjusted to be GF.

Anyway, last night it was dinner time and I hadn't even thought about starting to make dinner and I was hungry. I looked around the kitchen and saw the stack of hard corn tortillas and thought "tostadas!" And about 3 minutes later dinner was ready. All I had to do was gather the ingredients on the table for everyone to make their own:

hard corn tortillas
refried beans
ground beef (I left this out last night for time's sake)
shredded cheese
lettuce
sour cream
salsa
avacado or guacamole
olives

The beauty of this meal, besides the quick and easy aspect, is that people can put on what they want and leave off what they don't. I try to have meatless meals at least once a week, and this is really easy to adjust to be meatless and still be filling.

No comments: