Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meatloaf

We had meatloaf the other day. I used to use crackers and wheat germ in my meatloaf, rather than bread crumbs, but that's kind of not an option any more. In my early GF cooking days I once tried adding almond flour, or maybe it was almond meal to my meatloaf. YUCK! Bad idea.
Now I usually use Rice Chex. Corn Chex would probably work okay, too, though it might add a little different flavor. I'm not all that good at following recipes exactly, so I don't have an exact recipe, but here's the general idea:
1 lb. of ground beef (this is enough for 3 people, but not much more)
a few handfuls of Chex, crushed
a couple squeezes of ketchup
1 egg
salt and pepper
Mix it all together well (I use my hand and squish it all between my fingers to get it really mixed). Put in loaf pan (this time I actually put it in a muffin tin--it made 6 muffins perfectly). Cook at 350 until done (about 45 minutes?).
I didn't get a picture before the meatloaf was attacked, but you get the idea. We also had butternut squash from our garden (yum!) and one of those brown rice fake couscous dishes that I picked up at Sunflower Market. Delish!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: