Monday, August 29, 2011

Bread fail

Last week marks the 1 year anniversary of Jacob being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I remember well my first attempts at making gluten-free bread. Many of them fell in or were just flat and dense. It took a little while and some experimenting with various mixes and recipes before I settled upon the bread I make most of the time.
During the months of July and August I experience about 4 or 5 different bread failures. The first one I noticed was so HUGE when it came out of the oven, and I got all excited: Wow a real-sized loaf!
Then it collapsed. Of course. It had over-risen. All of my subsequent failures were similar. After a couple times I figured it must be all the extra humidity in the air from monsoon season that was making the bread rise too quickly. I tried adjusting the moisture in the recipe and the time I let it rise, but nothing worked, and I finally just gave up until monsoon season is over in the next couple of weeks.
Maybe next year I'll stock up and have a baking frenzy in June so I can have enough bread frozen to last us through monsoon season. I don't know how people in more humid climates manage GF bread. Another reason to be thankful for our "dry heat" here in Arizona. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: